At the turn of the 20th century, some of the artists who flocked to the Woodstock arts colony were drawn to the newborn religion that dispensed with traditional theology and instead emphasized the healing aspect of primitive Christianity, which had been lost until Mary Baker Eddy’s discovery reinvigorated its spiritual basis. Students of Christian Science began to meet in Woodstock in 1909.
Twenty years later, the congregation purchased the property that is now 85 Tinker Street from church member Marion Eames and her family. On that land is the building that originally housed the Art Students League’s summer school, where large north-facing windows of the former studio now flood the church sanctuary with light.
A Sunday school room was added to the building in 1955, and the house next door, at 89 Tinker Street, was purchased in 1969 to serve as the church’s reading room.
Starting in 2021, a portion of 89 Tinker Street was rented to the Good Neighbor Food Pantry to serve the local community. The reading room has now been moved into the Sunday School room in the church building.